Picadillo Recipe – Panlasang Pinoy
Picadillo is a dish with ground meat, tomato, potato, and carrots as basic ingredients. This is usually cooked using ground beef and/or ground pork, depending on the country of origin of the recipe. This Picadillo version that I am sharing today makes use of the basic ingredients. I also added green peas and Manzanilla olives to make it look and taste better.
I have been enjoying Filipino Picadillo since I was a child. It is simple and delicious. As I was growing-up, I learned that it is also easy to cook.
There are several ways to enjoy it. The most common is to eat Picadillo with warm white rice. You can have a small saucer with patis (fish sauce) and crushed chili on the side to even boost your appetite. This can also be used as a stuffing for empanadas. I just shared a recipe for pork emapanda, and the stuffing looks similar to this dish. Another way is to have the leftover for breakfast, with toast.
Sometimes, it is practical to cook a large amount of Picadillo and keep it in the fridge or freezer for future use. If you are bringing your own lunch to work, or your kids prefer home-cooked meals for lunch at school, then I suggest to make enough portions in advance. It also works best when you suddenly get hungry, there will always be something sitting in the fridge to devour-on.
Try this Picadillo Recipe. Let me know what you think.
Author: Vanjo Merano
Recipe type: Beef
This is a recipe for Picadillo
- 1 ½ lbs. ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomato
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup beef broth
- ¾ cup Manzanilla olives
- 1 medium baking potato, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, cubed
- ¾ cup frozen green peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a cooking pot.
- Saute onion and garlic until the onion becomes soft and translucent.
- Slowly add the ground beef. Cook until it turns light brown.
- Add diced tomato, beef broth, and raisins. Stir and let boil. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add olives, carrots, potato, and green peas. Stir and cover. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Season with crushed black pepper and salt. Cook for 3 minutes more.
- Transfer to a serving plate. Serve.
- Share and enjoy!
Serving size: 4
Watch the Video on How to Cook Picadillo